What is a Life Coach Exactly and How Does Life Coaching Work?
Life coaching can help you transform your life in so many ways. Let's look at what a life coach does and how life coaching works.
People choose to work with a life coach for many different reasons, usually because they want to change their life in some way or they want to bring something (or someone) new into their life.
Maybe you want to change your job or quit altogether or you want to build confidence and motivation to start your own business. Or perhaps you want to stop negative thoughts and create a positive mindset or you want to beat fear or lethargy. You may even want a total life reset. A life coach can help with all of these changes and life goals.
In this article, we will look at how life coaching works and what happens in a life coaching session.
What is a life coach?
A life coach is a trained and certified individual to help you be at your personal best. They will help you change the way you think and behave to reach your goals. Read 16 Ways a Life Coach Can Help You Achieve Your Goals Quickly
How does life coaching work?
Life coaching is carried out in one-to-one coaching sessions. These can take place in person or ,increasingly these days, online via Zoom, Skype or Whatsapp video calls. Group life coaching is also available.
Life coaching sessions usually last between 45 minutes and one hour. If necessary, sessions can last longer if agreed with the coach.
In the first instance, a life coach may offer a free 30-minute Discovery Call in which you can get a feel for their coaching style and success and to see if you gel with them. The life coach will use a Discovery Call to listen to your situation and understand what you want to achieve; this will help them determine if they are the right person to help you. These calls are usually a no-obligation affair.
What happens in a life coaching session?
Every life coach is different so here I will share how I personally run most of my life coaching sessions:
1. I apply the TGROW method to my sessions to help you get a clear view of what you want, where you are currently and what needs to happen to reach your goal. TGROW translates as:
Topic - What is the reason for coaching or the reason for this session? What is on your mind? This is an opportunity for you to really download and get all your thoughts on the subject out of your head and onto the table for discussion and coaching.
Goal - Essentially, what do you want? If you are not 100% clear, I will help you create a specific, realistic and achievable goal. A clear goal is much easier to reach than a broad whim. We may need to break a large goal down into smaller, more manageable ones.
Reality - What is going on in your life right now? Is there anything holding you back from reaching this goal? At this point, we may uncover some fear(s) or negative self-talk which life coaching and NLP therapy will crack.
Options - What have you tried so far to make it happen? We review your options; pros and cons; and look for smarter, easier and/or faster routes to get you to your goal.
Way Forward - At the end of the session, we will agree what next step you will take today, this week and/or this month. I will ask for your commitment.
NB: I always ask a few questions at the start of each session to determine where you are at and what your needs are in that moment, so not ALL of my sessions use the TGROW model.
2. I will lead the session and keep you focused. I encourage you to take notes; which I will do also, just in case either of us need a reminder in the future.
3. I will ask you questions to open up your mind to new ways of thinking and being. In between, I will listen carefully; I am trained to hear and identify any unhelpful or negative thoughts or self talk, any fictional stories you tell yourself and ways in which you are holding yourself back. I will bring your attention to them and we will work together to change them. I will also gently call you out on your excuses.
4. I will be supportive yet truthful. My goal is to build your confidence and increase your motivation to reach your goal(s). I am present if you need to cry just as much as I am willing to make you laugh.
5. You will decide what actions you can take before our next session. For example, this may include doing online research, stepping out of your comfort zone or introducing a new practice to your lifestyle eg. journalling, a new morning routine or changing how you communicate with your Self or with other people. Many of my coaching clients like me to hold them accountable for actions taken in-between sessions as it means they are more likely to do them.
How often should I have life coaching sessions and for how long?
This is totally up to you and depends on the length of time you have available before you want to make the change or reach the goal. Speak to a life coach to discuss what is best for you.
Life coaching sessions can take place once a week, or once a fortnight, depending on your needs, availability and timeframe. Some people book a year's worth of life coaching and NLP therapy and talk with their coach once or twice a month.
Agreeing dates and time in advance will help you create momentum and mean you are more likely to stick to your goals.
How much does life coaching cost and how do I pay for life coaching?
A life coaching session costs between £50-£300.
A life coach usually takes payment by bank transfer, PayPal and sometimes credit card or cash. Payment is typically requested up front.
Read 16 Ways a Life Coach Can Help You Achieve Your Goals Quickly
Working with a life coach and using NLP therapy will help you reach your goals quickly and build your confidence and your motivation. Faith Hill is a certified Life Coach and Neuro-Linguistic Programming or NLP Practitioner.
Book a free 30-minute Discovery Call to discuss how life coaching and NLP techniques can help you. Faith is an online life coach.